For Easter, Matthew and I traveled to Washington, DC to visit his mom and sister. It was an incredible trip and these iPhone pictures only show a small snapshot of the wonderful time had by all.
- Visiting the National Cathedral: Amazing work of art/architecture with incredible attention to detail. We strolled through picturesque gardens and took in the view from the 7th floor observation deck. I really enjoyed the mini-museum that featured exhibits explaining how the building came to be, and featured quotes from contributors (artists, designers, etc).
This was my favorite:
“You are rendering iron to your will. The idea is in your head and you need to get it out so someone else can see it. It’s a dance between your head, your heart, and your hands.” – Nol Putnam, Blacksmith, 1990
- Standing in a crowd of pedestrians as President Obama and his motorcade sped by (witnesses say he winked at me and cleared the streets for my arrival… no big).
- Walking by as Vice President Biden and his protection detail zoomed by on Massachusetts the very next day!
- Witnessing a real Spring. This time of year, DC is beyond beautiful, and EVERYTHING was in bloom.
- Day-tripping to Ellicott City, MD for a lovely afternoon with a family friend. The gorgeous farmland was breathtaking and stretched for miles and miles. So much history and tranquility. I had an opportunity to see the Shrine of St. Anthony first hand.
- Meeting up with some of my closest friends from college for dinner, drinks and fun.
- Walking, all the walking. We hoofed it all over that city, and it was awesome (no sarcasm).
- Using Yelp to find a wonderful organic juice bar and vegan/vegetarian restaurant. If you’re in the area, I highly recommend Hawthorne Market (and the Spiced Ginger-Agave-Lime Tea — if you can handle the heat).
- Strolling through the beautiful neighborhoods and day-dreaming of living in such places. One can dream.
Abandoned Steps | Tulips on Every Corner | Bluer than Blue | In Bloom | Architecture | Historic Farmland | Pink Petals on the Sidewalk | Ambrosia | “Ex Nihilo” (Out of Nothing) | Ivy-covered Exteriors | Reunion with Friends